Windows Desktop Automated Secure File Transfer Client
MOVEit EZ® is a unique secure transfer client that moves files on a scheduled, automated, firewall-friendly basis between Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition, 2003, XP, 2000, ME, and NT desktops and a MOVEit DMZ secure transfer server, with minimal user involvement.
One of the things that make MOVEit EZ unique is its use of the HTTPS (HTTP over SSL) protocol. This enables MOVEit EZ to communicate through a single firewall port (443). This is the same port that Web browsers use for secure connections, so it is almost always open. In comparison, clients that use the FTP over SSL protocol require use of a large number of firewall ports, none of which are typically open. Getting and keeping them open can be an ongoing operational challenge, especially when the firewalls belong to business partners and customers.
MOVEit EZ is easy-to-install, easy-to-use, and easy-to-support.
- Easy-to-Install MOVEit EZ is a relatively small program. It downloads quickly even over a dial-up connection. Unlike command-line secure file transfer clients that can be made to do scheduled, automated transfers, MOVEit EZ does not use scripts or batch files. MOVEit EZ has a set of default parameters that fit most end-user situations. This often enables end-users to simply click “OK” to quickly start files transferring on a scheduled, automated basis. For even less end-user involvement, certain communication parameters can be pre-configured before MOVEit EZ is made available to end-users.
- Easy-to-Use Transfers take place on a scheduled basis (example: every five minutes). End-users can also transfer files 'on demand' by clicking on the “Run Task Now” option. End-users “Copy,” “Send To” or “Save” files to a designated upload folder on their PC and MOVEit EZ then automatically moves them to a corresponding folder on a specific MOVEit DMZ server. If files are waiting for the end-user in a designated download folder on that server, then MOVEit EZ will also automatically transfer them to a corresponding folder on their PC, and then automatically alert the end-user.
- Easy-to-Support From MOVEit EZ’s use of firewall-friendly HTTPS, to its default and pre-configured communication parameters and its scheduled and automated transfer capabilities, to the fact that it runs as a service and does not use scripts or batch files, MOVEit EZ saves valuable end-user and IT staff time compared to secure FTP clients.
While MOVEit EZ is easy for end-users and support staff, it is at heart a very secure file transfer client that features all of the following capabilities.
- Encryption MOVEit EZ uses industry-standard 128-bit key SSL transport encryption. There is no end-user involvement in the encryption/decryption process. There is no need to use PGP/OpenPGP or other third-party encryption programs (though MOVEit EZ will transfer such files without any problems). Files sent by MOVEit EZ will automatically be stored by the receiving MOVEit DMZ server using its built-in US and Canadian government FIPS 140-2 certified 256-bit key AES encryption (again, with no end-user involvement).
- Logging MOVEit EZ automatically creates and maintains two log files: a daily, end-user oriented log that records all transfers, successful and not; and a support staff oriented technical “debug” log that records each step of each transfer.
- Non-Repudiation MOVEit EZ automatically does a SHA1 file integrity check of each file it sends and receives. The results are then logged and sent to the MOVEit DMZ server, which checks them against its own integrity check for that file, and logs the results. This integrity data, combined with authentication information maintained by MOVEit DMZ, provide complete file non-repudiation (i.e., the ability to prove who sent and who received a file, and that the file received is exactly the same as the file sent).
- Guaranteed Delivery MOVEit EZ will automatically retry file transfers that fail to start, and will automatically resume interrupted file transfers. These capabilities, together with its support for Non-Repudiation, enable MOVEit EZ to support Guaranteed Delivery of the files it uploads to and downloads from a MOVEit DMZ server.